Interference to AO40 beacon

Colin VK5HI wrote:

Over a period of time the command team has noted increasing activity in
close proximity of the beacon. At this point in time the impact on data
collection has been minimal.

Wayne W9AE replies:

I never heard it until very recently, but a few times I have noticed LEILA
sirens on top of the beacon.  I'm not sure if those were "spontaneous" LEILA
sirens that occur for no apparent reason, or if they were due to loud
stations crowding the beacon.  When I hear LEILA on top of the beacon I
don't remember any loud stations operating very near the beacon, and
definitely not 3-4 kHz BELOW the beacon (LEILA sirens often occur 3-4 kHz
higher than the offending loud station).

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA