Re: Lightning and neutral grounding

No hammer required !!!

Just dig a small hole and fill it with water and slide the ground
rod in the ground in and out until you have it at the desired depth.
Keep the hole filled with water (important). Just do not do it on a
day when there are electrical storms in your area. I know a lot of
survivors from the annual Electric Shock and Lightning Strike
Survivor Conferences.  The water acts as a lubricant and fills the
hole made by the rod each time you slide the ground rod in and
out of the hole. When you master this trick you will find that a
hammer is not needed in most cases to drive a ground rod in the
earth. Your mileage may vary depending on the type of soil you are
dealing with. It works with red clay perfectly, but rocks can cause
a little trouble. If you cannot work around the rocks, then I guess
it would help to have a big hammer handy but I never had to use it.

An old timer taught me this trick many years ago when he seen me
working up a sweat trying to get that 8 foot ground rod in the ground.
When I seen him coming with a bucket of water and a shovel I
thought for sure he was going to pull a prank on me. Instead, I was
simply amazed at how fast and easy he got the rod in the ground with
no hammer and no sweat.

Another chap in the business informed me that you should replace
the ground rod every 2 years or so. He said if you pull a copper rod
out of the ground and it has not turned to powder, then it was not
doing its job effectively. He explained that the ground rod had to be
shined clean before putting it in the ground and the natural chemical
reaction would take its course. That was an interesting comment and
made me think about it for a little while on the effectiveness of a ground
rods performance. If the ground rod does not have the chemical
reaction taking place with Mother Earth, is it a good ground? I realize
that many ground rods today are not made of copper, but maybe some
have a copper coating.

Something to ponder...

Tim - N8DEU