Re: Lightning and neutral grounding

NO! NO! NO!!

Do NOT mess with the NEUTRAL!!!!

You tie your GROUNDS together.  This means you tied your tower, surge, and
shack grounds to the electrical service ground.

The neutral should ONLY be tied to ground at the service panel which it
already is.

on 3/11/03 1:17 AM, Greg D. at ko6th_greg@hotmail.com wrote:

> So the question:  I believe everything is done more-or-less
> correctly, EXCEPT that I need to tie the neutral of the electrical
> plug in the shack to the same grounded bar that the arrestors are
> bolted to.  "Neutral" is "white wire" side of the plug.  (The hot
> side is black, as in charcoal, which is what happens to your
> finger if you touch it...).

Please don't do this.

> I can't depend on the service entrance
> ground to be at the same potential as the ham ground during a strike,
> since they are too far apart.

You are correct here.  That's why you tie all grounds to the service
entrance ground via a network of ground wires.

> The safety ground (green wire) is
> left alone.  This means snaking a heavy wire from the lightning
> arrestor mounting bar, into the wall, and over to the electrical
> outlet box, and attaching it to the neurtal side of that wall plug.
> I don't need any other sort of lightning arrestor on the power line,
> other than a good "surge protector"; our electrical service has an
> underground feed.

Please again no.  There can be AC voltages present from netural to ground on
an AC line.  Neutral is not ground.  Don't run the lightning protection
ground lines through the house.

If your tower is roof mounted run several, heavy braided ground lines (good
surface area) from the tower to the earth.  As an alternate you can use some
big, arc welding cable.  Avoid sharp bends and turns.  Each line from the
roof goes to its own ground rod.  Then connect all ground rods together
(outside) via #4 copper wire or copper strap.  Additionally, you need ground
rods every 16 feet.  All should be interconnected.  Everything gets tied to
the electrical service ground.

73,

Jon
NA9D