From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of kevin schuchmann
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 5:54 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org; John Geiger
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Lightening and mast mounted preamps

Hello John,
   guess it would depend on the type of preamp, but Icom ones for
example are out of the RF path when not powered, so if the rig is off or
the preamp is turned off they are relatively safe... would think most
preamps operate the same way... a near miss would have to induce a high
enough voltage to jump the relay contact points inside the preamp...
73's Kevin WA6FWF