Re: R: Cross Boom (Long)

on 3/8/03 4:03 AM, i8cvs at domenico.i8cvs@tin.it wrote:

> Look please at a circularly polarized microwave feed horn for EME
> type W2IMU or VE4MA
> They are made using a lenght of circular waveguide wich is closed at
> one end and is open to the other end.
> Two probes mounted at 90 degrees one to the other are fitted in the
> same plane near the close end of  waveguide.
> Each probe is supplied with the same amount of power and with the
> same phase.

A waveguide horn is a completely different beast.  In a waveguide horn, your
RF energy has already been launched from the radiating element.  On a yagi,
the RF energy has not been released.  The waveguide effectively takes the
launched RF wave and "concentrates" it in a particular direction.

You are looking at apples and oranges, my friend.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC