Re: BBQ Dish Gain

Eric,

Yep, pretty close.  My calculations for a 3-foot dish is 25 dBi gain,
assuming 50% efficiency.

If this is a center-feed dish then you not need to consider feed blockage
as the BBQ will have about the same blockage.  I few tenth's of a dB as you
say.  I assume 60% efficiency for my 85cm offset feed dish to give you
comparison.  Theoretically that could provide a 0.8 dB increase of gain
over the equivalent center-feed dish.  So the gain of my 85cm offset feed
dish is roughly the same or more than that of a CP 3-foot (91cm) center
feed dish.  Actual efficiencies are less than theoretical calculations in
all cases and subject to skill and accuracy of construction.  Paul Wade,
W1GHZ, avowed expert in ham microwave dish analysis, est. theoretical eff.
of offset dishes as high as 71% but cautions to derate actual performance
to 50% or less.  Center feed dishes are correspondingly lower in
efficiency, perhaps only 40% eff.

The 3 dB penalty of using linear polarization on AO-40 is considered a loss
rather than an dish efficiency parameter but the result is the same.  The
LP BBQ dish will be the equivalent of using a smaller CP dish.  My guess is
that 24 dBi is about right for the BBQ dish gain and it performs like a 21
dBic gain CP dish.

Using A040_v2.0 you can see the effects of dish gain and receiver NF on
overall signal to noise performance.  The BBQ dish with a good < 1 dB NF
system will have a hard time seeing the satellite noise floor at near
apogee distances.  The additional 3 dB from using CP makes up that gap.

73, Ed - AL7EB