Re: Cross Boom

on 3/6/03 2:54 PM, Roy Welch at rdwelch@swbell.net wrote:

>> My comments aren't to discourage the metal cross boom approach. The article
>> convinced me. However, let's not forget the second requirement.
>
> I didn't omit the second requirement.

No, Roy, you didn't omit it.  I did in an effort of brevity.  I think
Hasan's statement may have been directed at those of us who on the BB said
"just mount them in an X".

In my post, I referred people to Kent's documentation on G6LVB's website.
It is very clear from that document what you need to do to meet ALL The
requirements.

And it's not hard or needing instrumentation as others have said.  And using
a metal boom is not the "cheap" way out as hams like to do it.  Hey, if is
going to cost you $40 for a fiberglass rod and another $30 to ship it versus
$10 for a metal boom - it's stupid to throw $60 away!  You can buy a lot
with that.  In fact, I bought my 2 KLM antennas (22 & 40 ele) together for
$50 (yeah, they were a steal - I'll admit).  So I guess I was cheap there!
I could spend more on the boom than the antennas!

Anyhow, it just takes a little reading and common sense and it can be done
very successfully like you and I and others have argued.  This thread pops
up every so often with adherents on all sides.  It's probably never going to
be solved to everyone's satisfaction.  Every reflector has its hotpoints of
contention and this is one on Amsat!

73,

Jon
NA9D