Re: Cross Boom (new twist)

on 3/6/03 12:15 PM, John Becker at w0jab@big-river.net wrote:

> When Is a counterweight needed to be added ?

Whenever the antenna setup has a twisting moment by itself.  In other words,
your antenna should be mounted at the balance point (and yes, consider
proper location like others mentioned).  Keep in mind the balance point is
different if you have the weight of the coax hanging off the end.

Then in the case of my setup with the 2.4 GHz dish, I added some galvanized
pipe behind the dish as a counter weight.  I balanced it by leaving the
crossboom in the elevation rotor but not having the boom clamps tightened.
The antennas were free to move on their own.  I added enough weight so that
if I moved the antennas up or down, there would tend to be little additional
movement after I let go.

Any time you have a load on one side of the boom and not the other, you will
need a counter weight of some sort.  It could be piping like I did or it
could involve mounting the other antennas farther back, etc.

OK, you don't NEED a counter weight, but it's much easier on your rotor.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden