Re: Cross Boom

Ben - K9BF asked:
>  I have the rotor, tower and antennas, now I need a none conductive
> cross boom. What are some of you using for this purpose? Pole
> vaulting pole? Wood inside PVC?

When I first put up a satellite station, I was using a 12 foot long 1 1/2
inch wooden pole (heavy duty closet rod) with a steel tube tube over the
wood for the center section.  There was about 2 feet or so of just wood at
the ends where the antennas were connected.  At one point I broke the wood
pole while doing some work on the antennas by rotating the 2M antenna into
a ladder while I could not see the antennas - rotor 1, boom 0, time for a
new boom.
When I replaced the boom, I used a steel pole, and have not noticed any
obvious degradation of the antenna performance.  The elements are oriented
in a X configuration rather than a +

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org