Re: Cross Boom

on 3/4/03 8:14 AM, Ben at b-fisher@uiuc.edu wrote:

> Hello All
> I have the rotor, tower and antennas, now I need a none conductive cross
> boom. What are some of you using for this purpose? Pole vaulting pole? Wood
> inside PVC?
> Ben K9BF

Hi Ben.

There's been some work done by some folks on whether or not you need the
non-conductive boom.  You can buy solid fiberglass rods, but they will cost
about $50 plus another $30 or so to ship.

Kent Britain, WA5VJB, did some work on this.  His results are at

www.g6lvb.com/fibermetalboom.htm

The conclusion is that if you mount the antennas in an X pattern, that the
effect of the metal boom is minimal.

My original oscar setup used a fiberglass tube.  It sagged badly and I
didn't like it.  When I redid things, I used a piece of 1" galvanized pipe.
It works much, much better and I have no problems with the antennas.

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden