Re: AO40 3 March pass

on 3/3/03 3:47 PM, Don Woodward at dbwoodw@alltel.net wrote:

> Of course satellite spin can be minimized by using a
> circularly polarized antenna.

Huh?

The satellite is already transmitting a circularly polarized signal.  Spin
from the satellite should have no impact on the ground regardless of antenna
type used.  If the satellite's output was linearly polarized, then I'd agree
with you.  But if it's already a circular pattern, the only thing having CP
on the earth station side would do is give more gain by matching your
polarization to the satellites.

The only case where I could possibly think that it may help is if say one
vector plane of the waveform is blocked by something like the engine bell.
But even then I can't see how it would help much....When you get to the
point where the engine bell is blocking the transmit antenna, then nothing
matters.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I just can't fathom your statement....

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden