AO40 3 March pass

Howdy fellow satelliters:

I was working stations on AO40 today circa MA 169 and noticed
that the beacon was much stronger than usual and so were
signals in the AO40 passband.

The beacon was at least 1 S-unit stronger and most signals
appeared to be at the S8 to S9 level.

I noticed that the bird was about 3-5 thousand miles closer to
earth than on other passes I had worked and am wondering if
that made the difference in signal strengths noticed today.

I have only been on the bird for 3 weeks so this may be just
the ramblings of a newbie.

                                                73, Joe W2KJ