Wi-Fi interference, was Re: Cardboard Antenna Question

On Friday, Feb 28, 2003, at 10:09 US/Central, Frederick M. Spinner
wrote:

> You could always politely ask them to change what channel they are
> using on their Wi-Fi.  Explain what you are trying to do with AO-40,
> and explain that to them it'll be no difference.   It the best
> approach to start off with.  You likely will have to research how to
> do this with their equipment and help them out, but that in itself
> could prove to be a positive experience.
>
> Fred W0FMS

If your neighbor is a Macintosh user and has some variety of AirPort
Base Station, I can post instructions for whatever model they have --
there's a configuration utility that allows setting the channel on its
built-in WAP along with a number of other features.  I *believe* most
of the other name brand WAP's are configurable by HTTP (and thus can be
set up from any Web browser) but would have to check with the
manufacturer of whatever device they have to be sure.

See if they know whether it's an 802.11b or 802.11g WAP -- 802.11g has
a higher maximum speed and may be spread out farther to allow for the
increased bandwidth.

Does anyone know the actual channel frequencies for either 802.11b or
802.11g so people who are faced with this can suggest channels for
their neighbors to move to?  It would be particularly nice if we know
which ones would interfere with AO-40's downlink the least ..