Re: AO-40 U-Band

Bruce,

     You did not mention your antenna, so it is hard to tell if you are
making the trip.  I believe 30 plus element antennas are the norm with
around 35 Watts of drive (after coax losses).  The good ops turn the power
down when they can.

     You need more uplink on the weekends, less during the week, and even
less during working hours.  I run about 35 Watts into an 8 X 8 element yagi.
It works fine during work days, sometimes it works in the evening, but it
never seems to get the job done on weekends.  Like it or not, this is what I
have found.

     I struck a deal with most of my neighbors to turn off their offending
devices this afternoon so I could make some contacts (they are a lot more
understanding now that I am moving).  I listened to the +20 net for a few
minutes, but was unable to provide enough kick to check in.  This evening
when signals were better, I couldn't even hear my returns on CW (tlm had the
U AGC around 10dB), but now the range has gotten close enough I can hear my
returns on SSB quite nicely.

     The moral of the story is hang in there.  You are probably doing just
fine.  Try to find a time when the bird isn't so busy, and the AGC isn't
being driven.  Someday soon the alligators will all be educated and the
pistols will have full access whenever the bird is in view.

 especially