Re: AO-40 beacon question

Hi Jon,

Sunday, March 2, 2003, 1:31:21 PM, you wrote:

> Is it possible at certain heights and certain squints to be out of the beam
> of the S2 antenna?  Even though I can "see" the bird, is it possible that
> the elevation is too close to earth and so the antenna pattern is two
> narrow?  That coupled with the squint could make it such that some people
> could hear the beacon when others can't.

I am very often on the bird and collect telemetry. Now when the MB is on
during the whole orbit I can always hear the beacon even at high squint
angles. The qsb may be quite noticeable which results of many bad CRCs in
the telemetry. But once again,I hear the beacon all around the orbit.

73,
 Reinhard /aka Réne)
 DJ1KM Loc. jo42ui