Re: Can't hear AO40

On 1 Mar 2003 at 16:01, Steve L. wrote:

> Hi, I've been trying but can't hear AO40's downlink on
> 2.401 Ghz. I'm pretty experienced with satellites and
> VHF/UHF but not at 2.4GHz.
>
> Setup:
> Rig: FT847
> Antenna: Homebrew 16-turn Helix
Good sigs here in Aus, just had several stateside QSO's SSB and CW.

I use a 1.2 x 1.3 offset dish drake 2880 .5 nf preamp and right now
have a circular horn feed vertical polarised S8 on the FT847 with
internal preamp on. However with the horn alone (aprox 7-10 db gain)
can hear the beacon so you should hear the beacon with ur ant, for
ssb and tlm decode u may need a dish.
73 ron vk5akj (acheyJ)