R: DISH BEAM WIDTH

Hi Bill WA1DMV,

A 12' dish (3.65 meters) in diameter at 2400 MHz has a -3 dB beamwidth of
2.2 degrees in the H plane and 2.5 degrees in the E plane

The math is too long.

Assuming an efficiency of 50% the gain is 31.5 dBi

A simple but less accurate formula to calculate the -3dB beamwidth
is to calculate the ratio lamda/D using the same units where lamda is the
wavelengt and D is the diameter of the dish and than converting the result
of this ratio from radians to degrees.

In your case:

lambda= 12.5 cm
D= 365 cm

12,5/365= 0.0342 radians ; 0.0342 x 57.29= 1.96 degrees wich is very close
to the above H and E plane angles to be calculate with a more complicated
math bat for our amateur use the result is OK

The F/D ratio is important only to designe the type and beamwidth of the
feed to be used in order to illuminate the edge of the dish at -10 dB and
this requires simple math that you can find in any antenna book.

73" de i8CVS Domenico