Re: Re: AMSAT-BB-digest V2003 #92

> >Bob is correct in that a 2x3 call takes a LONG time with phonetics.
> >When the audio is clean like on UO-14 there is no need and more
> >stations can work w/o them.  But yes, in cases where one is not
> >clear, they are needed.  As I said previously, it is faster if
> >I give my call and then have to correct one letter ONCE than
> >give everything all the time.
>
> How about my call... KD4ADC. For me, phonetics is a must on SSB, and
> on FM nets I usually have to confirm with phonetics. I'm either
> KD4ABC or KD4ACD or KB4ABZ... you can come up with more
> possibilities I'm sure. I'm lucky if I only have to correct ONE
> letter. My only experience with sats is three confirmed contacts on
> AO-21 before it died. I've listened to UO-14 for the past couple of
> weeks, and I'm sure that I'll need to use phonetics if I want to
> confirm any grids.

Now .. sometimes even phonetics aren't enough.  Back when I was KD5BIV,
I was on a road trip up to Tyler, and on passing through Corsicana, I
had an entertaining conversation with an older fellow who seemed to be
chatting with most of the passersby on 2 meters.  At the end of the
conversation, I made every effort to give him my call, since it was
part of one of my email addresses and he had expressed an interest in
sending me an email.  Trouble was, he kept reading it back as KT5BIV,
no matter how much emphasis I put on "Kilo **DELTA** Five Bravo India
Victor", or how obviously wrong a 2x3 KT5 call would be in TX.

Oh well.  Usually phonetics get the job done.  LOL  Generally, when
they aren't enough, there isn't much else you can do ..

"Oh yeah? Well, I speak LOOOOOOOUD, and I carry a BEEEEEEEger stick --
and I use it too!"  **whop!**   -- Yosemite Sam