Re: Rig Choice, 23cm Capability Importance

Jon Ogden wrote:

> But I thought for sure that 435 MHz IFs are used.  I know I have a
> friend who's 1296 xverter operates on a 432 MHz IF.

DB6NT has both L-band and S-band converters that can be optionally
ordered with a 70cm IF frequency.  In the USA, these are available
from SSB Electronics.  See:
  http://www.ssbusa.com/db6ntoscar.html

Although I never saw it on their website, when I got ready to order
a 1269 transmitting converter from DownEast Microwave, I asked about
a 70cm IF, so I could transmit with the FT-847 on a band other than
2 meters, where my downconverter receives.  They said no, but I was
told I could have it built with a 28 MHz IF instead of 144 MHz, and I
could have it built in a fully weatherproof box for outdoor mounting.
I bought it with both options.  From my serial number, it looks like
no more than 5 people bought one before me, but I could be wrong, and
I'm embarrased to say how long it's been sitting on my shelf instead
of being out there on my antenna tower where it belongs, so maybe
they sold a lot more AFTER mine.  (Or maybe not, since I can't see
any version of the 1268 MHz transmitting converter listed on their
web site right now.)

Anyway, I will be set up with the DEMI 28->1268 transmitting converter
on the FT-847's HF port, and a MMDS 2400->122 receive converter on the
FT-847's 2 meter port, and will be able to use the radio in sat mode
either in modes LS or US.  An inexpensive coaxial relay on the HF and
2 meter ports will keep it simple to also work the mode VU and UV
satellites (and the terrestrial signals on all of the radio's
available bands).  I plan to split the downconverter signal and feed
it to both the FT-847 and my IC-706MkII, so I can monitor the MB on
the IC-706 while freely tuning the passband for QSO's on the FT-847.
With this arrangement and a little more work, if I wanted to do it
badly enough, I suppose I could also try working mode VS (2M transmit
on the FT-847 while receiving the S downlink at 122 MHz on the IC-706),
but I guess I don't feel much need to do that.

I hope to get it all hooked up this spring, so I obviously can't yet
brag about how good my choices were.  But I have faith that I will be
happy with the setup I chose.

There's seldom only one solution.  If you've got something that works
well for you, "don't worry, be happy!"

73 de W0JT (ex-KB0ZEV)