Re: Use of Phonetics - And More

I hate to even get into this discussion, but here goes:

 "Joel Black" <w4jbb@charter.net> writes:

> Just my $.02, as someone else put it.  Spell phonetically anytime
> something
> can be (or you think it can be) confused.  There is nothing wrong
> with
> spelling anything phonetically on FM whether it be satellite or
> repeater.
> Have you ever noticed how one letter in the phonetic alphabet does
> not sound
> like any other?  There's a reason for that - lack of confusion.

Please read on...

The man is right !  I'd  guess that on any given pass of UO-14 or any
other VOICE
bird,  AM, FM, SSB,  that at least 25% of the  QSO's I hear one of the
stations gets
the other station's call wrong.  Happens  every day, probably due to lack
of phonetics,
QSB, QRM, etc.  Listening and paying attention is important,  I also hear
many
stations  calling  N0EP  and  N7XU,  along with a lot of other misnomers.
  About
25 years ago I changed to a 2 letter call because many stations had a
hard time
getting the last letter of my call, "S", wrong.  Even on CW they would
get it wrong,
so I traded it in for a shorter, easier to copy call.  (Changed from
W6YKS to K6YK,
not much of a change, but a lot of improvement in recognition).

Many of the foreign stations do not understand English, or they don't
understand it
very well.  You need to give your call slowly in standard phonetics so
they can get
it right.  You might need to give it more than once, especially if the
other station is
not receiving the satellite well.  I've had contacts on HF and  VHF  CW
and SSB
that have taken maybe 15 minutes or a half hour just to get the callsigns
and
QTH exchanged due to real weak signals.  The payoff is getting it done
right, and
maybe receiving that  QSL in the mail with a nice letter thanking you for
your
patience and being that station's first contact with your state or
country.

You have to remember that ham radio started out in the "telegraph days".
Q signals
are just something that has carried through from CW to voice operation.
It's not
really proper to use them on voice, but it gets the message across.
I've heard
some law enforcement agencies use  Q signals on voice. It sounds very
odd, but
they get the message across. That's what it's all about.

Remember we are radio hams, not "civilians"  talking on the phone.  Our
"Jargon"
has evolved over many years  and  just because we are talking on FM
through a
repeater or satellite, we are still hams talking to other hams.  There's
bound to
be some  radio jargon being used.  Just as with, say, computer people.
They talk
in "computerese" that many ordinary folks wouldn't understand.

73,
John, K6YK