Re: AMSAT-BB-digest V2003 #92

 From a lurker...

 >From: Jon Ogden <na9d-2@speakeasy.net>
 >Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] UO-14 Phonetics?
 >
 >on 2/26/03 8:28 PM, Reicher, James at JReicher@hrblock.com wrote:
 >
 >> Jon, for once we agree.  With UO-14, the audio is so clear that
 >> it's easy to hear the letters.  Now I might make an exception
 >> for a gridsquare, since EM29 can sound like EN29.

Well, that gets me, I'm in EM74.

 >Bob is correct in that a 2x3 call takes a LONG time with phonetics.
 >When the audio is clean like on UO-14 there is no need and more
 >stations can work w/o them.  But yes, in cases where one is not
 >clear, they are needed.  As I said previously, it is faster if
 >I give my call and then have to correct one letter ONCE than
 >give everything all the time.

How about my call... KD4ADC. For me, phonetics is a must on SSB, and
on FM nets I usually have to confirm with phonetics. I'm either
KD4ABC or KD4ACD or KB4ABZ... you can come up with more
possibilities I'm sure. I'm lucky if I only have to correct ONE
letter. My only experience with sats is three confirmed contacts on
AO-21 before it died. I've listened to UO-14 for the past couple of
weeks, and I'm sure that I'll need to use phonetics if I want to
confirm any grids.

Kilo Delta Four Alpha Delta Charlie in Echo Mike seventy-four.

 >From: "John Becker" <w0jab@big-river.net>
 >Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Use of Phonetics - Was UO-14 Phonetics?
 >
 >Would someone please let me know when the horse is dead...

Sorry, but after all the hoopla over the BBQ dish for AO-40 and
now this, I'm on the fence as to whether I should sell my Arrow
and unsubscribe. Or would that be the recommended decision? :)

73,
David