Re: Newbie Post: Rig Choice, 23cm Capability Importance

on 2/28/03 2:55 AM, Edward R. Cole at al7eb@ptialaska.net wrote:

> I am probably repeating myself, but I think you will find that most xvtrs
> for 1.2 GHz will utilize an IF of 144 MHz.  You might special order a unit
> with an IF of 432 MHz.
>
> Instead I think it easier and about the same cost for using:
> mode-L:  use 144/1268  (Downeast, ssb, and Kuhne make them).  BTW it is
> only a Tx conv.

OK.  I guess it doesn't matter if it's a TX convtr or a transverter for our
purposes.  But I don't see why none of the companies thought of doing things
the way I suggested.  It makes so much more sense and it allows one to
easily switch between U band and L band.  Having a 435 MHz IF really isn't
any more difficult or expensive than a 2m IF.

It looks like the converter manufacturers are stuck in the old 2m IF
philosophy.

But I thought for sure that 435 MHz IFs are used.  I know I have a friend
who's 1296 xverter operates on a 432 MHz IF.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden