Re: Newbie Post: Rig Choice, 23cm Capability Importance

on 2/27/03 6:00 PM, rmidgett@bellsouth.net at rmidgett@bellsouth.net wrote:

> It appears that AO-40 is accessed primarily by 23cm, with DL via mode S. With
> that in mind, am I correct that I could utilize the 2m band in a 2m/70cm rig
> to drive a 23cm transverter for the uplink to AO-40, and monitor the S band DL
> via a seperate RX (like my PCR-1000)?

AO-40 is accessed both by U band and L band.  From what I think I have read,
the L band antennas are higher gain and if squint is bad, then L band is
harder to use.  I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that.

Given that then your choices are as follows:

1.) Purchase a rig with 23 cm (IC-910 or TS-2000).

Personally, I would rather have a mast mounted 23 cm converter.  The amount
of loss in even good coax is rather high at 1.2 GHz.  You'll get more power
to the antenna with the L band transverter at the antenna.

2.) Purchase a VHF/UHF rig (ie: FT-847) and an L band transceiver.

In this case, I would use the UHF side as my IF for L band.  Why?  The
reason is that this way, I could then use either L or U for my uplink
depending on conditions.  Then use the 2m side as the IF for S band.

Personally, I would prefer option #2 as it gives you the transverter at the
mast and more flexibility.  There aren't really any other active satellites
that use L band at this time, but there are 2 more being built right now
that will.

Even if you purchased a 910 or TS-2000, you could still buy the transverter
for L band as I think L band is an optional module on each radio anyhow.

But I would DEFINITELY use 432 for the L band IF.

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden