Re: Attitudes...

on 2/27/03 2:12 PM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@usna.edu wrote:

> No amount of FM bashing is going to reduce its popularity and no amount of
> FM bashing is going to improve participation on the analog birds.  That is
> my only point.
>
> I'd love to see an analog bird.  and more of them, but my only point is
> that negativism and antagnoism to FM operators is not a way to accomplish
> this objective...

Bob, you are correct.  The FM birds are popular because with an HT and a
relatively low cost antenna you can work the sats from anywhere.  And since
it's an HT or mobile, the radio then doubles for other uses.  That's the
biggest issue with dedicated satellite equipment.  Most hams want stuff that
can be used in multiple places and purposes.  Nearly everyone has an HT.
Not everyone has a full duplex capable all mode VHF/UHF rig.

I guess we should hold out hope for a multi-channel FM bird then!  :-)

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden