Re: Use of Phonetics - Was UO-14 Phonetics?

> What I hate are "Q" signals on repeaters.  Do you really need to say
> "QSY"
> when you're changing to a different repeater?  When I started ham
> radio some
> 10 years ago, I was told that FM repeaters were to be used like a
> phone in
> that you carry on a normal conversation without "radio jargon."

(raises guilty hand)

Actually, sometimes I do that just because "N5VB QSY" is easier and
faster to say than "I'm going over to 442.15, N5VB", and "I need to
QRT, 73 y'all" is equally efficient.  I guess it's a matter of personal
preference.  Most of the ops around my area have at least some exposure
to HF, so almost everyone will know what I mean.

Sometimes it's habit though.  One that bugs me occasionally is "home
QTH", which is just redundant.  But .. we were all Techs or Novices at
one point .. we've all probably done it at some point or another,
depending on which area you're in and what the local radio "culture" is
like.  Stuff like this is pretty common on the 2 meter machines here,
but more often than not it's tongue in cheek.  Unless there's a severe
weather net or ARES net in operation, it's generally pretty harmless.

73 y'all,

                   Bruce Bostwick N5VB

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve
life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out
death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends." -- Gandalf