Re: Use of Phonetics - Was UO-14 Phonetics?

1. I think "Germany" for "G" has Queen beat.  I don't know how many times
I've caught myself writing "J" after hearing "Germany"...
2. Even though I almost always give my call phonetically "November X-ray
Seven United"--about 20% of the time it is copied "November Seven X-ray
United".  Go figure...2x1 calls have only been around since, what, 1983?  I
wonder how many QSLs N7XU gets of mine?

No United isn't standard ICAO but it's a football bias... :-)

At 20:50 2003-02-26, Jon Ogden wrote:
>on 2/26/03 9:17 PM, Joel Black at w4jbb@charter.net wrote:
>
> > Have you ever noticed how one letter in the phonetic alphabet does not
> sound
> > like any other?  There's a reason for that - lack of confusion.
>
>Actually while ideally this is the case, it's not always so under bad signal
>conditions.
>
>I held KE9NA before my current call.  Echo and Delta sound a LOT alike under
>QRM and QSB.  You'd be surprised.  With NA9D I get Delta and Alpha mixed up.
>The difference between Delta and Alpha phonetically isn't much.  Denmark is
>better but even then it gets screwed up!
>
>Then people don't use the correct phonetics for all letters anyhow.  The
>worst is Queen instead of Quebec.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>NA9D
>Jon Ogden
>NA9D (ex: KE9NA)
>
>Citizen of the People's Democratic Republik of Illinois
>
>Life Member: ARRL, NRA
>Member:  AMSAT, DXCC
>
>http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/22/03!!!

>----