Re: UO-14 Phonetics?

on 2/26/03 12:50 PM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@usna.edu wrote:

> On FM, there is no need for phonetics, you either hear it or you dont.
> ANd with all the pileup, the success probability of hearing "W3XYZ"
> complete is  six times higher than hearing the full phonetic version.  I
> thought this commmon knowledge in HAM RADIO 101?

Bob,

Ever listen to your local repeater?  You hear phonetics all the time.  It's
characteristic of poor operators.  The guys who use HF and go DX hunting are
the WORST.  There's some guys here that hang out on a repeater I use.  Not
only do they use phonetics sometimes, they give their call EVERY time they
hand the conversation over!

Phonetics are NOT needed on FM and you are right!  The only time they might
be needed is when someone can't tell a "B" from a "D" or similar.  Then when
asked for the correction you send it.  Or I might say N A 9 Delta. Since
it's easy to mistake.

73,

Jon
NA9D