AO-7 odd behavior

Howdy all,

I was trying to play around on the AO-7 pass I just had this evening and had
an odd experience.  I couldn't find my downlink in either mode A or mode B.
But finally, I heard some CW being sent on mode B.  I thought it might be me
as I was keyed down at the time.  However, it sounded like telemetry that I
was receiving - in the pass band.  I de-keyed.  The CW stopped.  I keyed
again.  It started again.  I made sure my rig was not set to keyer.  It
wasn't.  I thought that perhaps I was putting too much power into the bird,
so I dropped my power down to 2 Watts (in the shack probably 1.5 W at the
antenna).  Still heard the CW come back to me.

I changed frequency.  Still heard it.  It had doppler on it, so I know it
was the bird and it faded out when it should have.

According to my tracking program the bird should have been in sunlight.

Anyone else seen this before?  It was weird how just a small amount of RF
would cause the beacon to start up and in the downlink passband.

Anyone else seen this?

73,

Jon
NA9D