Re: FG/W9AE

on 2/24/03 7:17 PM, Capt. Rich Clark at rclark5@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> Making rules or established offsets only educates them where to overload.

Not necessarily.  Most DXpeditions work split by announcing "listening 5 to
15 up.  So in other words, you give a range over where they should transmit.
Then you listen in that range and you move whenever the pile in one spot
gets too big.

> It is embarrassing to have to EXPLAIN what is going on to the newly enthralled
> populous when we demo and actually we would rather not have explain that "this
> person is overdriving the Bird and is obviously clueless that his receive
> portion is not up to snuff to carry on the QSO"

That's way oversimplifying it.  Like I have said before, MOST of the people
running too much power on the bird, can hear themselves just fine.  I've
heard some very loud stations who I know are big people in the satellite
world and have very sufficient antennas and yet were very loud.

And in a pileup, one wants to be loud to work you.

Many times, alligators can hear just fine.  They just like hearing
themselves.

73,

Jon
NA9D