Re: FG/W9AE

on 2/24/03 5:10 PM, Francisco Costa at fcosta@mail.telepac.pt wrote:

> My proposal: establish a Dx procedure to operate on AO-40,
> particulary for the most rare DXCC, including a "reserved"
> segment for Dx listening frequency. How about 70 to 90 above MB?
> Or anything else recomended by satellite builders/AMSAT's.
> See you on AO-40

It's a great idea.  When I worked Wayne, I saw immediately the problem.  In
a pileup, the loudest stations generally win the pileup (not always but many
times).  As I was trying to get through the pileup, there was something
running through my mind, "Make my signal louder."  How do I do that?  Crank
up the power.  Gee, on a satellite, everyone can hear how loud they are
relative to everyone else.  So then one guy ups the power to break the
pileup and then the next guy does it, etc.  Next thing you know, the AGC or
Leila kicks in and everything just sucks.  In fact, a difficult thing with
AO-40 and Leila may be that with everyone calling on the same frequency,
Leila could be triggered even if the individual stations aren't running too
much power.  The combined total of RF at that frequency in the passband
could be enough to trigger Leila.

AO-10 was a little different over the last few years.  There weren't a lot
of people on and fewer that could handle some of the fades, etc.  FO0AAA
worked a total of about 13 people, 3 of us on SSB.  The AO-10 situation was
completely different.

I think that Francisco's idea of spreading out the listening frequency of
the DX station will be a big help at perhaps the start of an expedtion.
Perhaps too it would help if everyone realized that there aren't that many
people on the bird at any given point and that if everyone is just patient,
they will be successful.  Wayne's operation is rather short in terms of
passes and time, so there is some urgency (I know I was trying to work him
just before some family came over Saturday night for dinner.  Just as I was
working, Wayne, the doorbell rang!).  But in general, with enough patience,
the DX should be able to be worked.  On HF, you are fighting with hundreds
if not literally thousands of stations.  On satellite it is a bit more like
10 or 20 stations at any one time.

73,

Jon
NA9D