Re: FG/W9AE

----- Original Message -----
From: <zs6y@metroweb.co.za>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 5:17 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] FG/W9AE

> Shut down L band !
> I was listening to the pile up on AO40 this evening and was
> amazed to hear how the Germans disregard the power uplink
> budget.
> Most were 3 S units louder than the beacon. They just flatten any
> chance of a 3 S unit lower than beacon U uplink station to work
> any pile up..
> You can hear Leila clamp the AGC.On U band.
> 500watts ERP is what is needed not 100watts into 16dbd.
> Disgusting manners..
> They will kill the bird thank cry the loudest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> L band alligators get lost.

I'm afraid thats only part of the problem!
After over a decade joining HF pile-up's, unfortunatly,
I'm used to all kinds of bad behaviour.
And, as far as I can see, the Dx operator can't do much
to avoid it. But he can do something. And probably the
best thing is work "split" (with all the usual variables: up,
5-10 up, numbers, etc.)
As a satelite, split operation is a standard! So all the Dx
operator needs to do is listen on a segment, necessarly
diferent of his own downlink.
This way, although not killing bad operation, it makes is useless.
More than power, find the DX rx frequency is the key.
I'm sure I'm not saying nothing new, and that was a known
pratice on AO-10 and AO-13. So, why not use it again???

My proposal: establish a Dx procedure to operate on AO-40,
particulary for the most rare DXCC, including a "reserved"
segment for Dx listening frequency. How about 70 to 90 above MB?
Or anything else recomended by satellite builders/AMSAT's.
See you on AO-40

73 F.Costa, CT1EAT
www.qsl.net/ct1eat