Re: Osculating element sets and secular effects

Joe -

"Osculating elements" represent the instantaneous physical orbit at epoch --
they represent a path that is tangent to or "kissing" the physical orbit.
The alternative are "mean elements" which are a mathematical tool for
accurate orbital predictions, but since they average out certain periodic
perturbations, do not exactly represent the orbit physically.  BTW, the TLEs
we use are "mean" and not "osculating" elements.

"Secular" effects have nothing to do with religion but rather are drifts
that continuous and indefinite drift to the orbital parameters occurs due to
first-order perturbational effects.  The next order effects are periodic in
nature, both long and short term.

Hope this helps.

73, Ken N2WWD