Re: AIDC Downconverter Survey Results

on 2/20/03 8:27 PM, kevin schuchmann at kschuchm@pacbell.net wrote:

> only said that I raise an exception to someone who says a BBQ  or other
> marginal system is good enough...

The term "good enough" means different things to different people.  In many
messages, Kevin, you've implied either directly or indirectly, the people
running at 10 dB under the beacon are "loud"  and are perhaps "too loud."

You probably cringed when you saw the article in QST by AA2TX regarding the
cardboard box antennas for AO-40.  I said, "Good for him!"

> some people cant figure out if you improve your hearing by 3db or 6db or
> whatever you need to hear the noise floor
> that guess what... others will be easier to copy..

We all know that.  That's not the issue.  There are many, many reasons that
people might not want to change what they have.  I have a friend who has
just a vertical for HF and he operates contests with it.  I have a beam on a
tower.  I know the difference and the advantage I have.  But I don't tell
him that he's stupid for not having a beam.  It's what he has and he's happy
with it for now.

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden