Re: AIDC Downconverter Survey Results

on 2/20/03 4:29 PM, Michael Williams at k9qho@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> With the sat at apogee and decent squint, I could turn my power all the way
> down on the FT-847 ( 3W ) and still hear my CW signal above the noise.
>
> I've got some great DX contacts and QSL cards at elevations below 10 degrees
> and my antennas are 8 ft. off the ground.
>
> This is a great satellite for antenna building. I always welcome new
> stations that I hear for the first time. I'm glad they are on AO-40 because
> it's not crowded.

Mike,

The issue is that some people on the satellite feel that unless you can hear
the noise floor of the bird you shouldn't operate.  Their view is that
operating at 10 dB under the beacon is loud and excessive because if you had
a "good" antenna you can hear everything.  While it's true that a single
helix or a BBQ can't hear the noise floor and you could theoretically not
hear someone calling, no one should be discouraged from operating because of
whatever reason.

There are some who just can't accept that fact.

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden