Re: R: SNR measurements

Once again, Domenico is right on the money--the key is a constant bandwidth
measurement that includes the noise in the bandwidth.

I might add that after Step 7, you can calculate your system G/T with a
simple formula.  That quantity is the *definition* of your downlink
ability.  (Try it on Gene's link budget spreadsheet.  No matter what G or T
are, for a given G/T, the received S/N of both the beacon and your own
downlink are the same!)

Unfortunately Step 1 is not nearly as easy as it sounds; of all the radios
I've ever owned in 27 years, only my (HF) TS-850S allows you to turn off
the AGC.  My FT-726R doesn't do that.  Hopefully the other popular radios
(FT-847 seems to be it) do.

Scott Townley NX7U
Gilbert, AZ  DM43di