Re: Satellite control via Iridium?

Thanks for the interesting info in both your messages, Robert.  It
then seems that there are no real technical show-stoppers?

73 de ZR1CBC, Johann.
<<

Hello Johann...sorry for the late reply.

The only show stopper we found with Iridium was that as the orbit of the
vehicle got "higher" you flew through the "patterns" of the Iridium sats
much faster.  We came up with some fixes for that...data storage for
example...but that moved us to focus on GlobalStar and ICO as our primary
suppliers. Because all our stuff was centered on ISS.

With those groups there were really no showstoppers.  There were just no
customers.  We had a "bird" that had the demonstrator built which would have
flown a test project, our little group had tested a brassboard demonstration
that "simulated" the doppler of a LEO with Globalstar (they gave us the
transciever)--it wasnt a problem.  The problem was that there wasnt any
customers.  WE did a lot of things....we demonstrated a "MIR" earth station
for JSC that came in A LOT under the price that they ultimatly paid for the
turkey that they actually built (which does nothing now)...I drive past it
occassionaly and some of its elements have fallen off.   But if you are not
one of the chosen contractors...then you dont get the business.

The place where amateurs in my opin need to huddle is Bob B's PCSAT and the
various follow on versions of it.  If I were "King" and I am not the Federal
government would rescue Globalstar and some of the other semi LEO's for
various projects (mostly but not all military) and would fund a lot of PCSAT
follow ons.  If you take SpaceNews I recommend that in a recent OP Ed that
they published.

In amateur radio I  would argue for a series of AO-10/13 birds and a LOT of
PCSATS.  I would never do another AO-40 bird again....its like the shuttle
to many eggs in one basket and really most of them didnt hatch.  There are
just some goals that are silly and one of them is world wide comm with not a
lot of antennas.

Bob Bruniga (I probably got your last name wrong Bob) is one of the leading
lights in the satellite amateur radio hobby "industry" and trust me that
statement is not made to simply ingraciate myself to him..we really disagree
on some subjects like the shuttle...he has essentially told me to get lost
on this board...but he's a bright guy who cares for amateur radio.

He is a bright guy with a good message.  Hams should hear it. PCSAT is more
the future of ham radio in space then AO-40 knock offs are.

Robert G. Oler WB5MZO