Re: Ao-40

Jim,

One thing I can think of is that squint is fairly high right now.  At 21:12
UTC, it's about 29 degrees.  You should be able to hear it, but it will have
some serious spin fading and if you don't have your antenna pointed just
right, the bird will be out of the beam of the antenna.

I'm not sure how you are pointing the antennas or what sort of mechanical
arrangement they are on.  Verify that they are solid and pointing in the
right direction.  Then look for the beacon, but realize as you tune around
that it may be in a null when you pass the frequency.  So tune pretty
slowly.  What sort of d/c do you have?  Have you accounted for the drift or
frequency inaccuracy of the d/c?

Are you sure your d/c is working?

The beacon should be on for the entire orbit now.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 2/17/03 1:45 PM, jim hertel at stanara@wac.com wrote:

> Hello fellow bird chasers,  I am out in the garage trying to set up a
> new antenna for ao-40,  a dish and a bbq for our club meeting on tuesday
> evening pst @7:30 . We are giving a "Demo for the Birds" ( sounds funny)
> to the other hams in the club. I am looking for the birds beacon and not
> hearing it.  I have it at 145 az, 29 el, ma 27, @ 19:40 utc .  I should
> be hearing it?  I know they have been turning it off during RUDAK, but
> read that they have stop doing RUDAK for a while just last week. Is the
> beacon off?
> wanting to test antennas,
> n6kmr, Jim

Jon Ogden