Re: SNR measurements

Hello Lee,

I would consider using a SINAD technique,

SINAD is a SIgnal, Noise, And Distortion measurement technique.

Modulate your TX signal with a very clean 1 KHz tone in SSB mode for
AO-40 or FM with UO-14/AO-27.
Take the received audio and put into the SINAD meter. directly read out
the S+N+D to N+D ratio.
D is distortion and will probably be negligible, N is the noise, so
essentially you get a S/N ration if S >> N.

Point your antenna to maximize the SINAD reading.
Tune the receiver to maximize SINAD, continue to correct for doppler.

As you lower your RF output power, the SINAD measurement also goes down.
As you raise your output power the SINAD reading will increase to the
overall system AGC thresholds.
AGC action in your receiver and/or the satellite, will limit the SINAD
maximum.
Then you meet LEILA.

I use a model SL105 SINADDER made by HELPER INSTRUMENTS in Florida
407-777-1440. I believe they are still around. Cost was about 100$ used,
a few years ago.

It contains a true RMS audio voltmeter and a precision low distortion
1000.0 Hz source.
Dynamic range is about  0 thru 32 dB for SINAD, 10mV thru 100V for the
TRMS audio voltmeter.

Knowing the resolution bandwith (noise bandwidth) of the IF, you can
reasonably calculate the noise figure or system sensitivity
from RF thru audio. Most noise figure meters only operate at RF or RF
thru IF, not from RF thru IF to demodulated audio,
like the SINAD technique.

You can also optimize your system by radiating a test SINAD (1000.0Hz)
signal ( you pick the frequency and  modulation)
into your system. tweaking every possible link in the receive chain for
best SINAD (S/N).

Of course, many other folks make SINAD meters, HP/Agilent and Motorola,
to suggest a couple.

Another trick...  with all of the gain in a RX block down converter, you
can attenuate this gain until the SINAD reading is degraded.
Excess gain only reduces the overall RX system dynamic range. You want
best sensitivity and greatest dynamic range.

any other questions, send them along..

Stan, WA1ECF      LM AMSAT       FN41sr  Cape Cod

zzzzz