Re: Satellite control via Iridium?

> On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:09:04 +0100, Johann Lochner asked:
>
> > How feasible is LEO satellite control via the Iridium or any other
> > existing satellite constellation?
> >
> > Imagine being able to access your satellite wherever it is in its
> > orbit, at whatever time is convenient!

That's exactly what we are trying to do on 145.825 with PCsat and the
worldwide network of APRS satellite ground stations listening on that
frquency.  Already, I can check the downlink from PCSAT over most of the
earth just by watching the ARPS worldwide feed.

This web page captures all PCSAT packets live: http://pcsat.aprs.org

Of course, Johann's stations in South Africa and Antarctica are already
prime players in this network.  Eevntually it wouldnt take anything but
the right software to allow me to command PCSAT through any of those
stations as well...  And PCSAT is being followed by PCSAT2 (jul 2003) and
ANDE (Dec 2003) and SCIENCE (2006).

Of course the advantage of irridium is for non ham-radio projects. BUT, I
was sure they use directed beams from the satellites, and so being in a
satellites footprint migtht be the big problem...

de WB4APR, Bob