ClearSpeech Analysis Take 1

Hi gang,

OK, I bought a ClearSpeech II base unit and have played with it for about 20
minutes so far.

Impressive is the first word.  It makes a big difference.  Yes, the audio
sounds somewhat "digitized" and some quality of the actual voice signal is
lost.  But the reduction in white noise vastly makes up for it.  I just
worked 2 stations on AO-40 with my measly, "piece-o-crap - I'm an alligator"
BBQ Dish.  Squints were above 15 degrees.  MA around 190 or so.  And I'm
also in the direction of some significant trees on my property.

It worked great.  I worked XE2ED and had some major fades.  I could copy
both him and myself clearly through both.  Switching off the ClearSpeech, he
was still copyable but not nearly as easily.  Armchair copy on both VK1VI
and ED2ED on AO-40 with the ClearSpeech.  Getting the white noise down to a
reasonable level makes things a lot better.

OK, further update:

I worked a couple of Japanese stations this evening too.  They were
incredibly weak.  I could hear myself fine, but not them.  This would have
been a case where a better downlink antenna would have helped.  Still w/o
the ClearSpeech, it would not have been possible at all.  But when the audio
gets down close to your noise floor, you can tell it has a tough time.
Still though, it's impressive.

Lastly, the unit does add some "digital" noise.  I determined this when
listening to a quiet spot on HF.  Actually, I had the wrong antenna and
wrong tuner settings so the band was very quiet.  With the ClearSpeech on,
you had more noise than with it off.  It seems to like having some noise vs.
signals in order to do its job.  Still even in noisier band conditions, you
can still hear some of the "digital" noise from the unit.  This means that
while it's a great tool, particularly in receiving AO-40, it isn't right for
ALL operating conditions.  Then again, to expect that is probably to be
silly.

I'll report more as I continue playing.

73,

Jon