Re: End of a Rover--The final straw

Well, Gerry, that's too bad.

The attitude of "you owe me" is just plain wrong.  QSLs are a courtesy.  And
someone like you has plenty of cards to send out.  In working DX, it's not
uncommon to wait 5 or 10 years for cards.  Sometimes it takes that long.

This attitude (not yours) just plain sucks and I understand why you've had
enough.

I can understand him asking you about the cards and being courteous.  But
demanding them is a different thing and just plain dumb.

73 and we'll miss you.

Jon
NA9D

on 2/14/03 9:48 AM, Gerald Schmitt at KK5YY@arrl.net wrote:

> For the past 9 years I have been on the satellites handing out grid
> squares-particularly rare ones-all over North America, Europe and
> the Pacific. I did this because people seemed to enjoy getting new
> grids and I was able to help.
>
> Over the years working grids seems to have gone from something
> I would do because I wanted to and could find the time, to an
> obligation. Since I have plenty of obligations at work I am willing to
> reduce the obligations from my hobbies.
>
> Yesterday I received the communication quoted below and I saw the
> light. I have a few cards left to send but from now on no more grids
> no more cards it just isn't worth it.
>
> The author's name has been left off he knows who he is.
>
>> Jerry;
>>
>> I have just returned home after being gone for the last 3 1/2
>> years.
>> I really thought that I would find the cards you promised you would send,
>> twice.
>> But nothing.
>> I see going back over my log that you owe me 12 grids from
>> 1998 and 1999.
>> I have sent you my cards with a SASE.
>> Also later on you said to send a list of the grid with dates and times. Did
>> that. Nothing from you.
>> Any chance of ever receiving those cards?
>> Only been 5 years.
>
> Five years later I have no idea what he is talking about but what I do
> know is I didn't sign up for this kind of stuff. So if you hear me and
> want to say "Hi" great but it is unlikely I will even know what grid
> I am in and even less likely I will do the card thing any more.
>
> Sorry for the long rant but if you don't vent, you explode, ask any
> steam engine.
>
> 73 KK5YY rov. ret.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)