Re: End of a Rover--The final straw

on 2/14/03 1:14 PM, John Geiger at johngeig@yahoo.com wrote:

> Excuse me!  I have always run barefoot with simple
> low antennas (now using a miniquad) and I don't need
> some 9V1 on the honor roll lecturing me about how it
> has been too easy for me.

Actually, John, James Brooks, 9V1YC is a great guy.  I know him personally
and he wasn't "lecturing" anybody.  The  purpose of the VP8THU expedition
was to shake the game up a little and make it a little more challenging.
The fact that you run wire antennas has nothing to do with it.  In fact, it
was probably MUCH more difficult for them to hear the weak guys who were
running low power or QRP with wires.  But a lot of the big expeditions are
like shooting fish in a barrel.

You must also consider that they may not have been able to secure
transportation for a lot of equipment.  Going on a DXpedition costs a lot of
$$$.  Some of them have cost the operators $10,000 or more OUT OF THEIR OWN
POCKETS.  They do this just so guys like us can have that rare one or new
mode.  Transportation is tough to these remote places.  Carrying amps,
generators and rigs and antennas to places requires a bit of carrying
capacity on a boat.  They might not have had that chance and so decided to
do it differently.

Next time before you criticize a DXpedition, think about how these guys go
and pay with their own money or money they raised from generous hams.  This
stuff to these places can be dangerous as well all so we have that chance.

I'd also encourage you to go someplace and operate as a DX station and see
what a real pileup is like for some more common place.  Then maybe you'll
appreciate what these guys went through.  I've been there and done that in
Paraguay.  My pileups were huge, but NOTHING like a place like VP8 would be.
I give those guys credit for just having the balls to even go down there and
try it with wires and TS-50s.

And to the guy who's bitching about not getting QSL cards: TOUGH.  Have YOU
ever operated from a rare grid and gotten tons of cards?  If not, then go
work some place rare.  Then you may have the right to bitch.

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden