Re: activity on FO-29/20

on 2/14/03 2:48 AM, Ivan Ivanoff at amsatuser@hotmail.com wrote:

> I am active on UO-14 and now would like to extend my sat monitoring on FO-29
> and FO-20 using my new ICOM-706MK2G (RX only for for a start). Working at
> night time (22-23 GMT) I have found out that no any activity, beacon only. I
> wonder, are these birds popular at present time? What is a level of activity
> there?
> Best regards,
> Oleg, UX8ZA

Hi Oleg,

They are not very active.  FO-20 does not operate very well in periods of
eclipse and sometimes shuts off.  The batteries are beginning to fail.
FO-29 is in better shape.  Still, these birds do not have a lot of activity.
I play around on them once in a while as do others, but I think with the
advent of AO-40, not many people use them any more.  The footprint is like
any other LEO and it requires a more complex station that than FM LEOs.
Still, keep listening and you may hear some activity at times.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden