Re: I: receiving system design tradeoffs

Hi Fred, Domenico, Tony, any otheres that still care about this tired topic:

Well repeating my own observations:
Typical orbit maybe 55,000km and squint 15 or so:

Assuming the average rig s-meter is 4 dB per s-unit (big reach, I admit),

I hear the S2 Middle Beacon fairly often at S-5.5
and the satellite nose floor at S-0.5 (using an 85cm offset feed dish*).

...that is a 20 dB range (probably as accurate as one should state for
using a s-meter).

On that day a couple weeks back I heard two very loud stations at S-4 (that
would put them about -6 dB the beacon).

I heard my own signal (weakly) at S-1 (-18 dB the beacon and only +2 dB
over noise).

So it would seem that running two to three s-units below the becon would be
correct ( -8 to -12 dB the beacon).  This would correspond to signals 12 to
8 dB over noise...should be quite easy to hear and understand if you have a
receving system that will hear down to the noise floor of AO-40.

Ed - AL7EB
since I have only tried an 18-inch DSS dish, a 4-foot commercial dish, and
a 33-inch sat-TV dish*...I have no idea how that compares to a BBQ dish.
PS:  been raining for a straight week and my helix feed is not covered so
not hearing well at present due to rain noise (wet feed).