Re: A question about 75 Ohm connectors

on 2/12/03 10:05 AM, Estes Wayne-W10191 at W10191@motorola.com wrote:

> It seems to work okay, except the shield on my cheap RG-59 cable is not very
> robust.  On two occasions a BNC connector has come apart when moving the
> portable antenna, dragging a long piece of coax.  The shield strands all broke
> under tension.  Now I have a strain relief on the cable.  Also, I didn't screw
> the BNC connector as tightly on the replacement cable.  I think I weakened the
> shield strands on the first cable by clamping them too tightly in the BNC
> connector.

I can't figure out why RG-59 is looked to as the "small" cable of choice for
75 Ohm uses.  RG-6 is a far better cable.  I learned this last summer when I
had my DSS system installed.  The RG-59 cables in the house that worked fine
for CATV did NOT work as well for DSS.  I replaced everything in the house
with RG-6 and high quality "snap-on" F connectors (like the pros use) and
now have much better signal strengths to the dish.  RG-6 has a much better
shield and is just a better cable.

I best most guys using the AIDC converters use RG-59 as well.  Again, I'd
recommend RG-6 here also.

73,

Jon
NA9D