More AO-40 K Band

Howdy,

I just finished my second operating window for this week. Results were quite
encouraging.

The first window was Monday night. Initial signals levels of the K beacon
were not too promising. Temp was 20 degrees and it was mostly overcast. I
believe the dewpoint was high and this has an effect on K.

I want to highly commend and thank the operators who hung in with me to make
a contact. SSB signals peaked at S2 max with heavy QSB. Even so, I managed to
work:

KO4MA
K5AXW
WC9C
K2IYQ
KB8VAO

Thanks guys!

This afternoon I had a window into Europe. Temp was 0 in the sun! Clear sky.
I had a feeling it was going to be a good day because when I plugged in my K
Band IF, I didn't have to insert any attenuation inline. I usually have to
insert between 5 and 10 dB for a nominal S0. With no attenuation inline, this
indicated to me I was looking at very quiet cold sky!

When the K beacon came on, I found it easily. It's level was not extremely
strong, but quite good. When the uplink came on, I tuned down 20 kHz and sent
a few dits and heard an S3 to S4 return on peaks! I immediately called and
worked:

HB3YEV (some trouble initially, but signals came up)
I8CVS
KB8VAO
OM3WAN
OE1VKW (K to K) (Viktor and I finally made it!!)
F6GBQ (K to K)

Overall, a good couple of days on K. My next windows are Friday and Saturday.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator