Re: AO-40 Update, 2003-02-10

At 10:27 PM 2003-02-09 -0600, you wrote:
>on 2/9/03 8:13 PM, Stacey E. Mills at w4sm@cstone.net wrote:
>
> > When the K-Tx is active PLEASE run minimal uplink power, especially on
> > CW.  The K-Tx has a hard-limiting AGC, just like the AGC on the old AO-13
> > S-band transmitter.  Strong CW signals markedly suppress the output and
> > make comprehension impossible.  It would help greatly if users with S-band
> > downlink only, would refrain from using the passband during the K-Tx
> window.
>
>I guess I am somewhat confused here, Stacey.
>
>The time when uplinking is possible with a K-band downlink is MA126 to
>MA134.  Are you saying that those w/o K-band should not use the satellite
>during this time?

Hi Jon,
I just said, "It would help greatly...", nothing stronger than
that.   Actually, there is a win-win scenario.  The K-Tx passband is fairly
narrow.  If the S-band downlinkers would move +/- 30 KHz from the beacon
during this time, they would not affect the K-band downlink and everyone
would be happy.

>Are there enough K-band users to justify this?

It's a chicken - eqg thing.  If folks become more successful with K-band,
then there will be more K-banders.  Even now, it is used virtually every pass.

>Also, why not just disconnect the S-band downlink during that time then?
The beacon could still be on could it not?

Unfortunately, this can't be done.  S2 and K use the same Matrix feed
point. (...see P3T matrix window).
We would have to shut off the S2 transmitter, which would also kill the S2
beacon.