Re: AO-40 Update, 2003-02-10

on 2/9/03 8:13 PM, Stacey E. Mills at w4sm@cstone.net wrote:

> When the K-Tx is active PLEASE run minimal uplink power, especially on
> CW.  The K-Tx has a hard-limiting AGC, just like the AGC on the old AO-13
> S-band transmitter.  Strong CW signals markedly suppress the output and
> make comprehension impossible.  It would help greatly if users with S-band
> downlink only, would refrain from using the passband during the K-Tx window.

I guess I am somewhat confused here, Stacey.

The time when uplinking is possible with a K-band downlink is MA126 to
MA134.  Are you saying that those w/o K-band should not use the satellite
during this time?  Are there enough K-band users to justify this?

Also, why not just disconnect the S-band downlink during that time then?
The beacon could still be on could it not?  Or would that cause more problem
from lids trying to uplink and find their S-band signal which would of
course be turned off.  Or do those with K-band use S-band to help themselves
find the bird first before moving to K?

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Thanks,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden