From: Ian Ashley [mailto:iana@kcbbs.gen.nz]
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 8:27 PM
To: Gunther Meisse
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Oddity in AO-40 Beacon Today

Hi Gunther, tnx for your interest in the tlm reception and AO-40
performance.

Because of the so called Mystery Effect (ME), we need to make
corrections to the satellite attitude almost continuously. To keep
track/confirm the attitude, we start the IHU-2 on a regular basis
(presently when good conditions over ZL/VK) and load software to enable
the YACE camera to take pictures of the Earth and or the Moon
occasionally. During the loading of the software the IHU-2 sends out cmd
confirmation like the #1577 and IPS-EM v0.12. The Q block format is the
same as the A block format but the data is not valid (except for the
headers). Once we have set up the IHU-2, we command the IHU-2 to feed
the TLM from the IHU-1, and so the data stream reverts to A,E,L,A blocks
etc. At present we have enabled the D blocks (the picture data) to start
to automatically download once the last picture has been taken. Today
there will be 9 starting at MA 93 (01:26:24UTC), with the last about
05:26. You can tell when a picture is being taken as there is a longer
than normal sending of idle bits between blocks. You can see the archive
of all the photos which have been decoded on the AMSAT archive. Hope
that helps. 73 de Ian ZL1AOX.