Re: Recent debate

on 2/6/03 7:28 AM, wa6ilt@verizon.net at wa6ilt@verizon.net wrote:

> I've got a brand-new BBQ antenna with a K5GNA-modified converter sitting in
> the shack that'll proably never go up.  To be fair, I also have a lot of trees
> that can't be cut down (nor do I really want to), the bird hasn't lived up to
> our hopes, and my wife would be none to happy with a solid one meter dish.
> But this truly nasty exchange has soured me but good.

Dave,

Sorry for the souring.  And sorry for my part in not being civil enough.
But I am amazed at how much scorn was leveled at me and the other operators
who have a BBQ dish.  It's like I am at fault for not being able to hear
stations 20 or 30 dB under the beacon when the level recommended by the
control ops is 10 dB.

In actuality, I have met a good number of guys on the satellite and heard
from a good number of people who use BBQ dishes or small antennas.  We need
guys like you on the bird.  It was dead the other night when I tried making
some Qs.  Don't let the negativity scare you away.  I am staunchly trying to
defend the fact that just because you have a BBQ dish does not make you deaf
or a poor operator.

No one rags on the ham who has an old TS-130 and a dipole or vertical in his
back yard for HF.  Does he hear "everything" out there?  No.  Does he have
fun?  Yes.  But yet, have a modest satellite setup and you get crucified.
So, to quote the poet on the list, "I'll ride in on my white horse" and
defend those who have no other options available or who are just starting
out!

I do hope to work you on AO-40.  Please don't let a few people's acrimony
(including mine) turn you away.

73,

Jon
NA9D